Establishing Your Business
The initial investment you make in a new business venture is often its most important. Many entrepreneurs establish a business without any legal or tax advice, only to later discover that it costs more to remedy start-up mistakes than to do things right from the outset. Without exception, hiring a qualified and experienced lawyer to help you set up your business will save you a tremendous amount of time, money, and hassle in the long run.
Getting it right from the start
For three decades, the business and tax attorneys at Moskowitz, LLP have been working with companies of all types and sizes in all aspects of starting a new business, including but not limited to:
- Choice of entity. We can help you decide whether a sole proprietorship, S corporation, C corporation, Partnership, LLC, or other entity is the best way to organize your business.
- Entity formation. Once you have chosen the right legal structure, we can spare you the hassle of navigating the many forms and legal documents required for your startup by preparing your Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, and other initial business documents and filings.
- Copyrights and trademarks. We can help you secure a business name and logo, and provide other copyright and trademark assistance.
- Licenses and permits. We can help you secure any required business licenses or permits for your operations.
- Real estate issues. We can review your business lease and other real estate documents, and ensure that you are compliant with local business zoning regulations.
- Employment tax, policies and compliance. We can ensure that your business is in compliance with laws concerning employee benefits, payroll taxes, and federal/state anti-discrimination laws regulating the hiring of employees.
- Commercial contracts and shareholder agreements. We can negotiate and draft any needed sales, distribution, or manufacturing agreements, assist with mergers and acquisitions including asset or stock acquisitions and sales, and prepare shareholders’ agreements, if applicable.
- Corporate governance. We provide counsel regarding federal and state securities laws and reporting requirements, executive compensation issues, disclosure issues and general corporate governance matters.
- Business tax planning. Our business tax planning services can minimize your federal and state income tax liability.
Knowing Your Industry
It can be very beneficial to have an attorney who is familiar with your industry and the legal environment in which it operates – or at least be willing to learn it. The tax attorneys at Moskowitz, LLP currently focus on the Real Estate, Construction, and Cannabis industries, the Technology sector and professional practices (e.g., attorneys and physicians).